Through the Cuisine & Horizon programme, our chefs and experts impart their passion for the profession and reveal all their gourmet secrets. The programme combines culinary technique, a local-produce culture and an introduction to restaurant management.
A unique immersion in the life of an experienced professional to approve your life-changing choice of the restaurant world. A subtle mix of theoretical and real-world learning approaches.
This programme leads to a level IV professional qualification (NSF specialisation code 221) as a Restaurant Chef and Owner, as registered in the Registre National de la Certification Professionnelle by the French Ministerial Decree of 27 December 2018 and published in the Journal Officiel de la République Française on 4 January 2019.
Head chef & instructor at Institut Paul Bocuse
Chevalier de l'Ordre Mondial de l'Académie Culinaire de France
“The Cuisine & Horizon programme instils the key traditions and culture of our profession, reinforcing learner enthusiasm and developing competency.”
Duration: 8 weeks - 293 hours
Dates: from 31st August to 23rd October 2020
from 19th October to 11th December 2020
Number of participants: 8 to 10
Tarif: €8,530 including VAT / €7,492 excluding VAT*
- Competency in basic cuisine and patisserie techniques
- Command of food safety and hygiene rules
- Awareness of the fundamentals of restaurant management
*When funded by a third party under an official scheme, the programme costs €7,492 excluding VAT (handling fees included).
This programme is designed for adults with a passion for the culinary arts, looking to achieve their career-change project by opening a guesthouse or restaurant, or starting a home-chef business.
Programme provided in French only.
- Theory component: specialist vocabulary, history of culinary arts, fundamentals of food and nutrition.
- Responsible catering and the fundamentals of the culinary arts: food cutting and preparation, matching flavours, presentation, balance and harmony of colour on the plate.
- Basic culinary techniques and practices: cutting vegetables, bases, gravies and bindings, eggs, soups and broths.
- Meat and poultry: classification, cuts, preparation and presentation.
- Fish and seafood: classification, cuts, preparation and presentation.
- Patisserie techniques featuring the great classics.
- Recipe essentials: choux pasty, cream desserts, ganache and tarts.
- Adaptation of these recipes: following your own preferences and creativity.
- Gourmet desserts presented in the plate and as petits fours: fondants, millefeuilles, rum baba, coconut rock cakes and croquembouche.
Food safety and hygiene module
Current French legislation assures clients that restaurants comply with the rules of food safety and hygiene.
With this module you’ll learn about:
- The main principles behind the regulations, and risk analysis.
- Best hygiene practices in chain restaurants.
Restaurant Management module
A good chef is also a manager and an entrepreneur. For the longevity and viability of the business, it is essential to acquire an understanding of the legislation in force and a command of costs and ratios.
- Defining your target and building your offer: positioning, food choices, à-la-carte and set menus.
- Drawing up a provisional budget and monitoring your business: overview, turnover, controlling expenditure, maximising sales, and additional sales.
- Legal status and obligations.
In cooperation with the Union des Métiers et des Industries de l’Hôtellerie – UMIH FORMATION.
- Workshops on flagship items of the culinary arts (wine, cheese, tea, coffee, etc.) to develop competency in enhancing your offer and adapting it to your target clientele.
- You’ll learn to describe, promote, and sell your services.
- You’ll apply your competencies in an operational situation, serving meals in the kitchen and at the table, at one of the restaurants of the Institut Paul Bocuse.
Enjoy a unique gourmet experience
During your learning programme, Institut Paul Bocuse proposes:
- A dinner at Paul Bocuse’s restaurant (2 Michelin stars) in Collonges-au-Mont-d’Or
- A dinner at Saisons, the gastronomic restaurant of Institut Paul Bocuse (1 Michelin star) in Ecully.